“When I opened my PC today the hard disk drive is showing 0 bytes free and 0 byte occupied at the same time. I am confused, what needs to be done now? How do I resolve the issue and bring back my PC in normal condition.”
The hard disk drive is an electromechanical data storage device which is prone to corruption and damage. When you come across a situation when the hard disk is showing 0 bytes of free space, you wouldn’t be able to access the data. Such a condition though alarming, aren’t uncommon. That is the reason one should always keep multiple copies of the important data preferably at different locations and on different storage devices. However, in most of the scenarios data is not backed up. Hence, it is necessary to be aware of the techniques of hard drive recovery.
Let’s first be aware of the reasons why a hard drive isn’t detected on a computer. This, in turn, plays a vital role in rectifying the problem.
Factors leading to Hard Drive Showing 0 Error
Some of the common factors responsible for error are listed below:
- Removing hard drive without Ejection
- A power surge
- Hard drive usage in an improper way
- Virus attack or malware infection
- Interruption during partitioning or formatting of the hard drive
- Corrupt files in the system and bad sectors
When you encounter such a situation, check the hard drive by connecting it to another PC. If the hard drive still shows 0 bytes and the RAW file system, implement the solutions stated below.
- Rename the Hard Drive Letter
Steps are listed below to rename the hard drive letter:
- Press ‘Windows+R’ then type diskmgmt.msc and hit ‘Enter’. You will be directed to the Disk Management window.
- Right-click on the hard drive that shows 0 bytes free space and choose ‘Change Drive Letter and Paths’.
- Then click on the ‘Change’ button and choose a drive letter from the drop-down list.
- Click ‘OK’ and then click ‘Yes’ when prompted. Click ‘OK’ to confirm and close the box.
You would be able to access the drive and stored files on the drive once you restart the system.
- Run the CHKDSK Utility
If the file is corrupted due development of bad sectors in the drive, CHKDSK helps in repairing the file system. To fix the hard drive showing 0 bytes issue, execute CHKDSK utility on the hard drive, as per the steps mentioned below.
- Press ‘Windows+S’ and type cmd.
- Then right-click on Command Prompt and select ‘Run as administrator’. The Command Prompt window appears.
- Type chkdsk X: /r /f where X is the hard drive letter that shows 0 bytes; /r & /f are the chkdsk parameters. Hit ‘Enter’ to execute chkdsk.
Hold on until the process is complete. This could most likely fix the hard drive error. Try to access the files after restarting your PC.
- Use Microsoft Safety Scanner
Microsoft Safety Scanner safeguards your system from spyware, viruses, and other malicious software and applications installed on the PC that might be causing the issue. You can download the security scanner tool from Microsoft for free that is compatible with your existing antivirus software. But, you will have to be extra careful while using the tool as it repairs the bad sector if found any while scanning. This may eventually lead to data loss.
- Hard Drive Recovery with the help software
This is the most secure and safe approach for hard drive recovery that indicates 0 bytes. Stellar data recovery software is one of the best and reliable software these days. It helps in data recovery from inaccessible hard drives and its deleted partitions.
Follow the steps below for hard drive recovery where the HDD showing 0 GB.
- Download and install Stellar Data Recovery Professional for Windows
- Connect the hard disk drive to the PC and launch the program.
- Then select the file types and folders you want to recover, click on ‘All Data’ to recover all file types from the corrupt hard drive.
- Click the ‘Next’ button and select the ‘hard drive’ under ‘Connected Drives’ that shows 0 bytes.
- You will see a Deep Scan toggle switch at the bottom-left corner of the software window. Turn it ON and then click ‘Scan’. Please wait until the scan is finished, the deep scan feature helps in RAW data recovery.
- Once scan is complete, all folders are listed in the left-pane, select any folder to preview files inside them.
- Select the Files and Folders that you want to retrieve by clicking on the checkboxes.
- Then click on ‘Recover’ button and ‘Browse’ to select the location to save the recovered files. Ensure that the selected location is not on the same drive.
- Click ‘Save’ and wait until the Stellar Data Recovery Professional Software saves your recovered files and folders at the desired location.
When the data is successfully recovered from your hard drive showing 0 bytes, do format the hard drive. For this, you can try Disk Management tool or Disk Part to format the hard drive and then move your recovered data in it.
- Professional Data Recovery Service
Stellar Data Recovery Service for Hard Drives is highly efficient in recovering data from not detecting, not responding, damaged hard drives. Their professional services help in retrieving data from different kind of hard drives & from all type of data loss situations. At Stellar hard drive recovery is performed by data recovery experts in a controlled environment of CLASS 100 clean room with the assurance of up to 95% recovery of your data. If due to any reason your data is not recovered, they will not charge you a single penny. All the 15 branches across India are well known for excellent customer service and maintain a high level of data confidentiality.
Always keep on checking the health of your hard disk drive. This can be done by using S.M.A.R.T. – disk monitoring system that is included in all modern hard disk drives. The system is capable of detecting and reporting various hard drive health indicators that can help you take appropriate action on time to avoid any data loss situation due to hardware failure or bad sectors. In addition to it, also keep an authorized and reliable data recovery software like Stellar Data Recovery Professional Software to fix hard drive error whenever in need .Stellar Data Recovery Professional also gives you the option to monitor the health of your PC hard drive
Never open your Hard Drive, or use any random software application to recover data from your damaged Hard Drive. Rather than mishandling the hard disk drive you should opt for Data Recovery Service from Stellar.